Do you like to start tomatoes, grow tomatoes, preserve tomatoes, cook with tomatoes, eat tomatoes, outgrow your neighbours’ tomatoes with the biggest one ever, paint tomato themed art, and hum lyrics about the wonderful tomato? Then this event is really for you. Simply everything will be about tomatoes!
The Tomato Extravaganza takes place on August 29th, 2017 from 2 to 8 pm. It will be an educational and fun-filled day for adults and kids alike. The day brings:
- The opportunity to take a behind-the-scenes tour of Hole’s Greenhouse with Jim Hole himself and view hundreds of heritage, heirloom, and hybrid tomatoes in the greenhouse at peak production. Imagine seeing indeterminate heritage tomatoes like Sungold which can grow up to 60 feet tall! How high will they be on August 29th?
- A friendly tomato growing competitions: We want the largest, heaviest tomato you can possibly grow. Feed Brutus, Mortgage Lifter, Beefmaster, and other “biggies” to receive the biggest honour of this event! Then, show us the most oddly formed, weirdest, wonkiest tomato grown in your patch. There’s a prize for that too!
- Cooking demostrations by the ATCO Blue Flame Kitchen. Doreen Prie and Kathryn Joel from Get Cooking Edmontonwill showcase tomato recipes which will leave you salivating for more!
- Workshops & talks about tomato growing tips and tricks, saving seeds, & preserving tomatoes,
- Tastings of local dishes featuring tomatoes from Get Cooking Edmonton and the Roti Shop.
- Children activities, including the chance to get a photo with Mr Tomato
- A tomato art and tomato photo competition
- and The Skewed Tomatoes Band will be performing some of your favourite tomato ballads throughout the day!
It will be all about tomatoes!
This year consider donating your extra homegrown tomatoes. The Edmonton Food Bank will be attending and will gratefully accept your tomato contributions. Tomatoes are healthy treasures to share with their recipients. Bring a basket with green, red, pink, burgundy, indigo, black, or brown tomatoes in any shape or size. We know there is a remarkable sense of community in the Capital Region. Thank you in advance!
Tickets are FREE for children 11 years old and younger, and $5 for students, seniors, and adults. Get your tickets in advance to secure your spot and to pre-order your meal!
YEGDateNight started with a way to inspire ourselves to get out of our dinner and a movie rut. We wanted to share the many things to do in Edmonton and area, with people that may or may not have been under the impression that there's nothing going on in the city. It's grown into the go to place to find out what to do in Edmonton, a space where we share date night inspiration for couples, friends and groups in Edmonton.
Latest posts by YEGDateNight Team (see all)